Cute & Clever Signs

When visiting Asian countries, it’s often amusing to see signs in badly translated or broken English.  From China to India, countless signs in funny translations or shocking language have been discovered and shared for a laugh.  

And that’s why it’s so refreshing to come across signs that at both cute and clever in countries where English is widely spoken.  

Recently I was in New Zealand and Australia for an extended holiday and while travelling around Lake Taupo and Rotorua in North Island and in and around Perth, Western Australia, I spotted a few informative and interesting signs with witty words. 

I hope you will enjoy them as much as I did.

 
As I walk through the Wai-O-Tapu (Sacred Waters) Thermal Wonderland, I shudder because know that it’s located on the edge of the largest volcanic caldera (depression) in the active Taupo Volcanic Zone! 

Surrounded by boiling springs, bubbling mud pools and blow holes spewing volcanic gases, I’m grateful that Johor does not have volcanic activity.  

I keep my eyes on the sign posts, careful to remain on the formed tracks lest I trip and fall into the volcanic mud and boiling water that’s as hot as 100 degrees C. 

Note the steam swirling in the background!

 

 

It’s fascinating to see and hear the hiss of steam billowing out of blow holes in the Wairekei Geo-Thermal Walk that starts and ends at the cottage which also houses a café.  In my hurry to start the walk, I must have missed this sign so I made a point to pause and read it on my way out.  The words embossed in cast iron appear to be saying something solemn but I can’t help laughing aloud when I read what it actually says!


Any “Beware” sign demands close attention especially when it’s at the Honey Place near Lake Taupo.  Don’t say they didn’t warn you!






Another cute sign seen in the parking lot at the House of Honey in the Swan Valley, Perth:

Apparently the parking space is only for the Bee Keeper while all others will be stung!

 

 










A restaurant in Freemantle posted several signs reminding people not to feed the seagulls or they will S. O. Y. 

* Can you guess what the abbreviation, S.O.Y. stands for?

 

 






The Creepy Hollow Restaurant near Kojonup is an interesting stop-over on our drive from Perth to Albany in the South.  It has a café and pre-loved goods shop and their toilets are even labeled Witches and Warlocks.  I learnt that the owners used to organise theme parties and they later decided to put the décor items to good use in a little horror themed shop. Watch out of sensor-activated props that can shock the faint-hearted!

 





A signpost spotted at Hillarys Boat Harbour that indicates distances to major cities, among them our capital city, Kuala Lumpur.  

Even though the spelling is incorrect, it is still recognizable!

 

 








A poster dated May 1901 printed by the Print Shop at Whiteman Park, WA, is a sample of the kind of work they produced in the good old days.  

The message is straight-forward to the point of being blunt!

 

 






While browsing in a gift & souvenir shop in Angelo, Perth, I saw this clever sign.  Oops!


*S.O.Y. = Shit On You!

/pl

1 comment: