Who's the Hungry Hog?

A wall plaque in The Hungry Hog
 
At the thought of tasty pork ribs, I recall with much fondness, the ribs that I enjoyed at the Lone Star, Taupo and especially at the Pig & Whistle, Rotorua.  I can almost taste the delicate flavour of ribs blanched in honey and spices, blasted in flames and served smothered in hoisin and orange sauces.  I’m not an expert in pork ribs but having savoured some of the best in a recent trip to New Zealand, I’m ready to sink my teeth into some local recipe pork ribs. 

For some time now, I’ve been hearing about the exciting menu at The Hungry Hog in Subang Jaya from my brother and his family.  They have brought almost all our relatives in Subang and any visitors to Subang there – except me.  In fact, my niece tried to take me there for dinner but they happened to be closed on that particular Thursday [they are closed on Mondays!].  Since I was in Subang Jaya last week, it was an excellent opportunity for my own porky experience and to avoid disappointment, we phoned ahead to make a table reservation.

 
A section of diners in The Hungry Hog
 
Negotiating our way through the evening traffic on a Tuesday is no mean feat and we arrived moments after a text message was received from the restaurant to inform that our table was released to another group! 

We were just two minutes late but the waiter was apologetic and assured us that the next table will be made available for us.  There were also a few tables in the non-air conditioned dining area outside and even here, all the tables were occupied. 



Another section of diners in The Hungry Hog
 
So we joined the queue waiting along the pavement outside the restaurant.  A glance through the glass walls showed us that it was absolutely packed with people.  As I stood there waiting and watching the diners slurping down their meals, I couldn’t help smiling because this was reminiscent of the situation outside Ciao Italia, a popular restaurant in Perth, Australia!

The wait was certainly worth it because our orders were served promptly and accurately, and the portions were simply generous.  The casual vibe in the compact restaurant coupled with efficient service to satisfied diners made for a very pleasant dining experience at The Hungry Hog. 

Assorted spare rib cuts marinated in Char Siew sauce in the Char Siew Ribs served with a side of fresh salad topped with cherry tomatoes and pineapple bits


The Hog House Salad made with romaine lettuce, sticks of French beans, avocado slices, boiled egg wedges, cherry tomatoes, streaky bacon, homemade ham and drizzled with French dressing


Traditional meal of Bangers & Mash created with homemade fennel Italian sausages, a side salad and mash drizzled with onion gravy


Juicy Porky Chops – pan-fried shoulder loin chops flavoured with honey mustard sauce and a side of watercress greens and mash potatoes


Façade of The Hungry Hog in Subang Jaya
As I licked my fingers, savouring the delicate flavours of my Char Siew Ribs, I made a mental note to return again to sample more items on their menu.  There are Smalls & Sides, Salads, Rice dishes and Burgers to Bigs [main course meals!], not to mention their interesting desserts that feature pork ingredients.   Ah!  So much food and so little space in my stomach…

Hungry Hog, a non-halal restaurant, is located at 71, Jalan SS15/4C, 47500 Subang Jaya.  Open Tuesdays to Sundays from 12noon to 3pm and from 6pm to 10pm and closed on Mondays.  Tel: 012 – 225 0877.  Website: www.hog.my

UPDATE:

Message from Hungry Hog dated 27 Nov 2013:
 
Hi Peggy!

So sorry for the late reply! Many thanks for the write up and kind words. I'm really glad that you had an enjoyable time at the restaurant and that you liked the food. 

We look forward to see you again soon. :)

Warmest regards,
Yeng Yee
Head Hog
/pl

No comments:

Post a Comment