Food & Friends

Peter and Natasha enjoying Nasi Padang lunch
at Qin Garden coffee-shop at Jalan Trus
 
Peter Cheong told me he was coming to Johor Baru again, this time with his daughter, Natasha, so that he could show her the links to their family history in the Johor Baru Chinese Heritage Museum and the Johor Baru Kwong Siew Heritage Gallery.  After he read my story about Wong Ah Fook and the Kwong Siew Heritage Gallery in 2013, he wrote me and came to JB to discover more about his mother’s side of the family here. 

Natasha was visiting from Canada and after Johor Baru, they were heading to Singapore to meet with relatives there.  As always, I want to introduce my visitors to some local food and Peter assured me that Natasha enjoys all kinds of food – and does not even mind the spicy heat of chilli!  This helped with my decision to head to the Qin Garden coffee-shop where my friend Adam has his Nasi Padang stall. 

It was good that we arrived just before the lunch crowd because I know that it can get rather chaotic when the hungry people, who are familiar with the food, start to help themselves to the buffet spread and we may not even have space to stand!  I think my visitors got very excited with the variety of food and couldn’t resist a little of each item but I was glad to see how they polished off their plates!

In the past few weeks, I had the great pleasure to taste a wide variety of food with friends and family members.  Here is a glimpse of what I enjoyed in new and familiar places, both near and far. 
 
This burger choice is filled with a tasty and tender lamb patty from the delicious all-day breakfast menu at Grill Bar
Solid bowl of Tangkak Beef Noodles enjoyed at their Kluang outlet at Jalan Langsat, Kluang;
Rich beefy broth with just a hint of herbal taste that truly satisfies!
The way to savour Mocca Pot D'creme at Barney's in Kluang, is to take a bite of the rich, smooth chocolate
and let it slowly melt in a sip of unsweetened coffee ...mmm...delicious!
Freshly baked English scones from George & Dragon at their outlet in Johor Premium Outlets
A quick lunch of Kajang Satay at the Dengkil rest stop along the Plus Highway;
Notice two sticks of ox tripe [Right], a rare treat to indulge in!
Rediscovering an old favourite at a new spot - Yong Yong Dessert restaurant at Jalan Layang 16, Taman Perling
Generous portion of seafood and ingredients in a delicious bowl of piping hot soup noodles
at a shop along Jalan Rosmerah, Taman Johor Jaya
Finger-licking good salted-egg crabs at Full Taste Restaurant, Taman Mutiara Rini, Skudai
Platter of North Indian specialties from The Olive Kitchen & Bar at Puteri Harbour, Nusajaya
My low-carb burger combination created from the Build-Your-Own-Burger menu at Fat Boy's the burger bar;
There are caramelized onions under that cheese square!
 
/pl

No comments:

Post a Comment